Re: [EXIM] -dropcr as a default

Author: Karsten Thygesen
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Andrew V. Kovalev, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] -dropcr as a default
>>>>> "Philip" == Philip Hazel <ph10@???> writes:

Philip> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Andrew V. Kovalev wrote:
>> Can I change default behaviour of exim on reception of non-smtp
>> message so that -dropcr option would be active?

Philip> Only by patching the code.

I think it should be an option.

>> There are MUAs that for some unknown reason add CRs to message
>> lines. In my case it is Knews. It calls /usr/lib/sendmail -t and it
>> can't be changed without recompiling (I guess I should start
>> searching for sources now)..

Philip> Oh, today's programmers... In the Good Old Days we thought
Philip> nothing of patching binaries in extreme cases. You could
Philip> search the binary for the string "/usr/lib/sendmail -t" and
Philip> change it to something else to allow you to insert a wrapper
Philip> between Knews and Exim.

And how about Solaris/CDE mailtool? There is no way to make it use
something else than /usr/lib/sendmail. No patch available...

Did anyone try to replace /usr/lib/sendmail with a wrapper? Does the
-dropcr have any impact on non-buggy programs?

Best regards,
Karsten.

--
M.Sc.E.E, Sys/Net-administrator, BOFH, Aalborg University, Denmark
http://www.kom.auc.dk/~karthy/ for more information.