Re: [EXIM] Obscure director bug in Prefix/Suffix + Unseen

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Troy Cobb
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Obscure director bug in Prefix/Suffix + Unseen
On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Troy Cobb wrote:

> However, if the director is also set as unseen, to allow the address it
> is directing to be tried by other directors in line, then the address
> that is passed along as unseen is the STRIPPED local_part, not the
> original. My expectation would be that further directors would be given
> a shot at the prefixed/suffixed address, but this original address does
> not seem to be being pushed back onto the director stack, instead being
> replaced by the stripped address.

Your expectation is entirely correct.

> Here's a quick example:
>
> director_one:
> unseen,
> prefix=local-,
> transport=local_delivery,
> driver=localuser;
>
> director_two:
> prefix=local-
> driver=aliasfile;
> file=/path/to/special/aliasfile/for/additional/addresses

I tried this exact example (except that I had to add "search_type=lsearch"
to the second director).

> In this case, an address of "local-somebody@???" will get
> matched by director_one, which sends it to local_delivery. In addition,
> it is marked as unseen and sent along to director_two, which WILL NOT
> MATCH the address, because the address being sent along is just
> somebody@???.

This did not happen for me. The -d9 output was:

address local-ph10@???
local_part=local-ph10 domain=xoanon.csi.cam.ac.uk local=1

directing local-ph10@???
stripped prefix local-
calling director_one director
director_one director succeeded for ph10
transport: local_delivery
address local-ph10@???
local_part=local-ph10 domain=xoanon.csi.cam.ac.uk local=1

directing local-ph10@???
stripped prefix local-
director_one director skipped: previously directed local-ph10@???
stripped prefix local-
calling director_two director
director_two director: file = /path/to/special/aliasfile/for/additional/addresses search type = 48
file=/path/to/special/aliasfile/for/additional/addresses query=ph10

> Of course, this could all be by design, and I'm just misinterpreting the
> documentation. :) I'll look into the code later to determine the place
> this is occuring.

I was trying this with the latest code, but I don't think there has been
any change in that area recently.

So: What is different between your setup and mine??