Re: [EXIM] Some general questions

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Some general questions
> It looks likely that we'll soon be replacing our campus mailhubs (a
> sparc 10 & 5 running PP v8.1) with a couple of new Suns, candidates
> at the moment being a pair of Ultrasparc 170's with 64Mb and 2G disk
> (+another 64Mb and another disk probably). My question is: does anyone
> have any good/bad experiences with running Exim under Solaris 2.6? Does
> the above spec look reasonable? We receive at present up to maybe 35k
> messages per day, which probably equates to 3.5k or more per hour at
> peak times. We'd like one machine to be able to handle this, with both
> coping comfortably. Another question: would a 1-2 Gb spool be sufficient?
> These are simply mail relays with no local users.
> Any advice greatly appreciated by someone with little experience :~)

At present we run PP (8.1) on a sparcstation 20; averaging 40-50,000 msgs per
day; SunOs 4.1.3; 128MB memory; about 600MB disk spool space. The problem is
with the performance more than anything. Although occassionally we run short
of space when there is a large backlog of mail.

In 2 weeks we will be running exim on an Ultrasparc 170, 64MB, and 2GB disk
spool space (...eerie eh? :-) ). We anticipate the amount of mail to
increase due to other changes within the University. I have been using this
for testing for the past few months and have had no problems. We WERE going
to run it on a SparcClassic (!), but after the 7hour compilation of gcc
my manager was convinced to forget this! We were going to upgrade and use the
sparcstation 20, and this may still happen. I do not expect a problem with
the configuration (although we will still use the 2GB disk). We have no
local users either.

The classic is running Solaris 2.6 with exim and has no problems (a bit slow
on the classic but otherwise fine). At present the sparcstation and Ultra run
Solaris 2.5.1, but both will be upgraded to 2.6 soon.

Good luck...and a wise decision to use exim in my opinion :-)

John.

John Horne,                                  E-mail: J.Horne@???
Computing Service,                           Phone : +44 (0) 1752 233911
University of Plymouth, UK.                  Fax   : +44 (0) 1752 233919