Re: [EXIM] percent_hack_domains problem

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alan Thew
CC: Exim List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] percent_hack_domains problem
On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Alan Thew wrote:

> I'm running 1.73 but would appear to have got something wrong. I have
>
> percent_hack_domains="*.liv.ac.uk:liverpool.ac.uk"
>
> but mail from an offsite machine is happily relayed offsite, thus
> bypassing the anti-relay blocks.

The percent hack makes the incoming mail look like it's coming to your
local domain as far as the normal relay-checking code is concerned, so
it gets through.

The percent_hack_domains option has been there since the very first
version of exim, before all the other relaying stuff. I put it in in
case anybody actually wanted it, though of course it is disabled by
default. Instead of just having an on/off switch for the hack, I thought
it might be more useful to allow it for certain local domains only, but
there never was any check on the outgoing portion of the address.

How important is this? Do people actually want to make use of the %-hack
these days?