Re: [EXIM] File locking and mailtool

Author: Andrew V. Kovalev
To: Richard Gilbert
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] File locking and mailtool

Got the same trying to use procmail (or elm filter) with mailtool on
SunOS4.1. Seems to be some major brain damage in mailtool. If anyone has any
ideas please share.. fuser marks mailbox files with "v" what means "file is
mmaped or execed". Smail that's currently running on this box was subject to
some really messy surgery. I want to move that box to exim but don't want to
do the same. Upgrade to Solaris is out of question.

                avk

Richard Gilbert wrote:

> My most pressing problem is that Exim cannot deliver mail to users who are
> running mailtool. I see the following:
>
> 1997-11-27 14:19:56 0xakiA-0001Qr-00 == el1jkm@??? T=local_delivery
> defer (-9): failed to lock mailbox /var/mail/el1jkm (fcntl)
>
> Can anybody tell me what the solution is, please? (I don't think telling
> users that they shouldn't use mailtool will be acceptable.)

Currently we are pushing users to netscape mail. Also removes a lot of
problems with MIME attachments.

                avk

--
"An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is." -- Tom Holub