[EXIM] File locking and mailtool

Author: Richard Gilbert
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] File locking and mailtool
Having run Exim very successfully on out two mail hubs (with no user
mailboxes) since the summer I have just changed one of our general purpose
Unix systems to use it in place of sendmail. This is so that I can
prevent it being used as a relay.

My most pressing problem is that Exim cannot deliver mail to users who are
running mailtool. I see the following:

1997-11-27 14:19:56 0xakiA-0001Qr-00 == el1jkm@??? T=local_delivery
defer (-9): failed to lock mailbox /var/mail/el1jkm (fcntl)

Can anybody tell me what the solution is, please? (I don't think telling
users that they shouldn't use mailtool will be acceptable.)

Thank you in anticipation.

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services