[EXIM] message_size ?

Author: Pieter Immelman
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] message_size ?
Hi,

$happy_exim_users++ :)
Had to upgrade our SunOS4 box (due the weird kernel panics triggered by
exim somehow) to something newer, but I'm back here. Smiling all the
way when I see the spam messages landing up in the bit-bucket and not
in my mailbox! Made the upgrade worth it! Thanks to everyone who has
contributed to exim in one or other way. You too, Phil. ;)

Just ran into one small snag today. Want to add Content-Length headers
to the messages, but I must be doing it wrong, since I don't get the
correct values:

=== configure ===
local_delivery:
remove_headers = "Content-Length",
add_headers = "Content-Length: $message_size",
driver = appendfile;
file = /var/mail/${local_part},
no_from_hack,
=== configure ===

=== aliases ===
x: /var/mail/x
=== aliases ===

This entry is purely for testing, since "chmod 0 /var/mail/x" makes the
message stick in the mail queue so I can investigate where the values
are coming from:

15m   288 0xZNQo-0005Wx-00 <root@???> *** frozen ***
          x@???

This message contains the single word "hello". So where is the 288
coming from? Unless "message_size" means size of message including
the headers? If I patch up the access rights on /var/mail/x and let
exim deliver it, I get the following in there (without the > bits):

>From root@??? Sun Nov 23 00:07:07 1997
>From: Super-User <root@???>
>To: x@???
>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:49:41 +0200

>hello

Now this message is 453 characters, so where is the 288 coming from?
Now if message_size is not what I hoped it was, is there something like
the message_body_size? In fact, the more I read TFM, the more certain
I am that what I'm trying to do is not possible (yet :). Help?

-- pi