[EXIM] RBL

Author: John Bolding
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] RBL
>From exim-users-request@??? Thu Nov 20 06:59:20 1997
>From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@???>
>Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim wishlist: 'tar-baby' facilities
>
>There are big-brother aspects of RBL that I detest.

I think of it more as a Big Stick and very unlike Big Brother.

All of us [in the anti-spam community] __are__ in control of the RBL.
Both getting into and getting out of the RBL are well documented at
maps.vix.com/rbl/.

>Let's not fool ourselves; when you subscribe to the RBL technology (and
>accompanying philosophy), you are letting the RBL maintainers have control
>over who can reach your site. Having a static exception list will
>probably be of little value considering how dynamic and fast-moving the
>rbl process is.

Do you mean that your static exception list might need to change
as fast as the RBL itself? Perhaps. If you deal with lots of SPAMers
or SPAM networks that you want to receive email from.
I think for most of us this will not be a problem.

The folks at the RBL are quite good. They are intelligent, polite,
responsive, and they get the job done.

The RBL is a Good Thing. It will probably be Needed for quite some time.

-cc