Re: [EXIM] local_domain!=qualify_domain, check_ancestor does…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andrew V. Kovalev
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] local_domain!=qualify_domain, check_ancestor doesn't work
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Andrew V. Kovalev wrote:

> This would break things. Imagine user a receives mail on horse, user b
> receives mail on hound. If I set quailfy_recipient to horse.jet.msk.su
> attempt to mail to unqualified user b from horse (for example from
> a's .forward file will perform local delivery on horse and user b will
> never receive this message (I forgot to mention that horse and hound have
> synchronized passwds).

You basically have a fundamental problem in that an unqualified name
might be local and might not be.

... but could you not set up a smartuser to catch user b, like this

not_known_here:
driver = smartuser;
new_address = $local_part@???

so any local address that is unknown gets passed to your central machine
for handling? Hmm. That might still leave the wrong domain in the
headers of a message generated on horse with no domain, though you could
cope with that by rewriting.

> I think I'll prohibit use of backslash in .forward files using something
> like "real-" prefix instead. But I'll be grateful if someone can think of a
> way to preserve backslash functionality.

The actual backslash character has never been actually necessary in
forward files for Exim - nor, I think for smail either.

Another thought, if the above idea doesn't work:

I wonder if you could do something like catching local users by setting
up a domainlist router like this

users_on_this_machine:
driver = domainlist,
domains = jet.msk.su,
local_parts = dbm;/list/of/users/on/this/machine;

to pick up those users on the current machine. Hmm. I don't think this
helps yet, but the next version of Exim has a new "self=local" option
which then passes the address back to the directors, whatever the
domain. So on the next release you could add

self = local
route_list = "* $primary_hostname byname"

and the address ivan@??? would get passed to your directors if if
matched the list of users for this machine. That does mean, of course,
that you have to be able to tell which users are on which machine from
all three of your machines, not just the mail gateway.