[EXIM] Filter freezing *all* mail from AOL? :)

Author: Dan Birchall
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Filter freezing *all* mail from AOL? :)
Hi folks,

Yesterday, I finally activated filtering on our SMTP server.
It seems to be working pretty well - froze 7 confirmed spams
overnight. However, it seems a little overzealous about mail
from AOL. :)

Here's my filtering code:

if
$header_from: contains "aol.com" and
sender_host_name does not contain "aol.com"
then freeze endif

(There are, of course, various other filters.)

Overnight, this managed to catch one spam sent via
sleet.atm.dal.ca with an AOL address, which is the
whole idea - stuff with AOL addresses that doesn't
come from AOL mailservers is bad. :)

Unfortunately, it also froze 5 messages from valid
AOL users, four of which came in through aol.com
mailservers (the other one came through a .forward
file elsewhere, I have to think about how to address
that. :)

Any thoughts on why this would happen, if the
address is (user)@aol.com and the H= is
mrin(##).mail.aol.com?

Thanks,

-Dan (off to add a few more filters)

--
Dan Birchall - Internet Sysadmin - 16 Straight Communications
520 Fellowship Road, Suite A-112, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054-3400