[EXIM] exim-exim bulk mail problem -- backup smarthost?

Author: Michelle Dick
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] exim-exim bulk mail problem -- backup smarthost?

I have a linux box running exim 1.73 and it uses a machine running
exim 1.71 as a smarthost. Each night, one message is sent to the
smarthost to about 1800 recipients (in chunks). While my local exim
logs all show successful deliveries to the smarthost, only some the
1800 final delievies are being made, some of the chunks are being
dropped.

I checked the logs on the smarthost, and see entries like:

1997-11-14 03:38:34 0xWJv4-0000OS-00 Spool file is locked

(0xWJv4-0000OS-00 is one chunk that never got delivered). What does
this message mean exactly?

Is there any thing I can do on the sending end to keep this from
occuring on the Smarthost?

Also, I am wondering if anyone has spare capacity on their mailer and
would be willing to relay my mail (act as a Smarthost for me)? Either
out of the kindness of your heart or for a fee? I need to send one
mailing nightly to about 1800 folks (though this grows over time, the
highest it's been is about 3200). This is an opt-in mailing list with
confirmed subscriptions that has been in operation since 1993. It is
a vegetarian food discussion list that is free to subscribers, though
I do request and accept donations. I only have a 28.8 dial-up line
connection and would like to avoid sending out my mailing directly
from my machine. More info on the list is at http://www.fatfree.com

Thanks,

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@???              East Palo Alto, CA