[EXIM] Anti-relaying config

Author: Bruce Rodger
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Anti-relaying config

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on setting up exim to prevent relaying. We
have a pair of exim systems which act as mail hubs and relays for our
campus - ie they will relay mail from the outside world to hosts within
strath.ac.uk, and will act as "smarthosts" for these internal systems,
accepting mail from them and forwarding it to the rest of the world.

ie

        big bad world      -----  exim hub  ------    department.strath.ac.uk
                                strath.ac.uk

My first attempt was

relay_domains = "*.strath.ac.uk" (ie accept anything destined for
                                     department.strath.ac.uk)
sender_net_accept_relay = 130.159.0.0/255.255.0.0
                (ie accept anything posted from within the
                campus)

The relay_domains seems OK, but the sender_net_accept_relay causes
problems, as some of our users talk to the exim hub using POP and SMTP.
If they are doing this from a remote site (eg an isp dialup account)
they can only send mail to addresses within strath.ac.uk, not external
hosts.

The next atttempt replaced the sender_net_accept_relay with
sender_address_relay = "*@*strath.ac.uk"

This causes a problem if a user has a .forward file on department.strath.ac.uk -if mail from user@??? addressed to zzz@??? arrives,
and gets rewritten by department to user@???, exim rejects it,
as the source appears to be user@??? and the destination is user@???