Re: [EXIM] Filter Trouble

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Skye Merlin Poier
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Filter Trouble
On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Skye Merlin Poier wrote:

> == /tmp/spoier.reject <spoier@???> T=address_file defer (13):

Permission denied: failed to chdir to /staff/spoier

> Am I doing something dumb? I've RTFM several times.

I suspect this might be a groups problem if your permission to write to
/tmp is conferred by means of a group permission. Local deliveries by
exim are normally done with just the primary group of the user.
Secondary groups are set up only if you specify that this should be
done. In this case, you would have to set "initgroups" on the
forwardfile director where you ran your filter.

Do not do this without due consideration, since the process of setting
up users' secondary group lists for every delivery is not dead cheap. On
the other hand, setting "initgroups" on a forwardfile director only
applies to pipe and file addresses generated therefrom.

I will fix the infelicity in Exim whereby the debug output shows the uid
and gid under which it is doing a delivery only after it has done a
successful chdir. It makes much more sense to show it before!