Re: [EXIM] Nasty exim bug?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Neal Becker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Nasty exim bug?
On 10 Nov 1997, Neal Becker wrote:

> Some idiot here did chown on my spool so that spool/log was not
> writable by exim user. The problem is, it appears that this caused
> the queue runner to requeue the messages - so that now I not only have
> an enormous backlog of messages being delivered- but I'm getting 100
> copies of each.
>
> I'm not certain about what's happening - but is it possible that exim
> caused these duplicates?

I think I can see how this happened. Exim would have bombed out on
failing to write to the log, but after it had put the message on the
queue. It would have done this before telling the far end that it had
successfully received the message, so the far end would send it again.
Hmm. Perhaps I should re-arrange that code so that it doesn't try to
write to the log till after it has sent back the confirmation to the far
end.

I've made a note to see if I can improve this. Apologies for not
spotting this possibility.