RE: some sort of perm denied!!!

Author: Philip Hazel
To: George Bonser, Tom
CC: exim-users, The UNIX Mighty!
Subject: RE: some sort of perm denied!!!
On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, George Bonser wrote:

> I have run into this too. I think that is an error from the other end being
> reported after the message has been sent. In other words, ns2.t3tech.com
> has something misconfigured on their end and is spitting out this error message
> (that exim is logging) when you try to send mail to them.

No, that is not the case. Note that it says "T=local_delivery", which
means it is doing a local delivery. Also, any errors from the other end
are always logged as "error from remote host" to make it absolutely
clear what they are, and the host name+IP is also logged.

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Tom wrote:

> Easy one. Exim does delivery as the user it is delivering to. On a
> stock FreeBSD system, users can't write to the /var/mail directory. There
> are a couple of way to handle this: disable lockfiles, and precreate
> empty mailboxes for everyone, or chmod /var/mail 1777 and precreate
> mailboxes for everybody.

Another way, assuming that /var/mail is writeable by group "local", is
to put

group = local

on the local delivery transport. Then the deliveries are done as the
receiving user, but under the "local" group.