Re: some sort of perm denied!!!

Author: Tom
To: The UNIX Mighty!
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: some sort of perm denied!!!

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, The UNIX Mighty! wrote:

> Os: FreeBSD 2.2.5
> Exim version 1.73
> config file: "stock"
>

> log file
> 1997-11-04 20:06:00 0xStuy-0006v7-00 == bback@???
> T=local_delivery defer (13): Permission denied: creating lock file hitching
> post /var/mail/bback.lock.ns2.t3tech.com.345fc678.000067ef
>
> any idea???
> Btw the same config file works under solaris
> -Bikesh-

Easy one. Exim does delivery as the user it is delivering to. On a
stock FreeBSD system, users can't write to the /var/mail directory. There
are a couple of way to handle this: disable lockfiles, and precreate
empty mailboxes for everyone, or chmod /var/mail 1777 and precreate
mailboxes for everybody.

The way that delivery is normally done on FreeBSD (any many other
systems) is via mail.local. mail.local creates the mailbox as root, and
then switches to the id of the user. I like this better than the default
exim way.

I avoid this whole thing, and use the Cyrus local delivery system. I
hate mailbox locking conflicts.

Tom