Re: smail3-users: Re: Goodbye Smail

Author: George Bonser
To: Stuart Lynne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: smail3-users: Re: Goodbye Smail

On 02-Nov-97 Stuart Lynne wrote:

> Been a while since I looked at smail. Can you post a short summary of
> what pathalias and uuname routers do?

What the pathalias router does is look at a routing table produced by pathalias
and decides how to send the mail.

Since I deal with about 70 or so uucp sites and have about 20 uucp neighbors,
pathalias is a godsend when connectivity changes changes at one of the remote
sites.

All I have to do is update the uucp map for that site (or, more often, that
site sends me an updated map), append the maps into one file, run it through
pathalias and bingo! I know exactly how to route mail to a distant UUCP site.

Actually, all I really NEED to know is the best uucp neighbor to send it to
since I use internet addressing. That neighbor understands internet address and
it selects the best hop to pass it on to.

An example pathalias file might look like:

shorelink.com calvin!shorelink.com!%s

In /etc/smail/methods/table I would have an entry like this:

calvin          inet_uusmtp

Which tells smail to spool it up via batched smtp using internet style
addressing.

The pathalias file in smail does some interesting things. The above entry
would tell smail that the message is to be delivered to calvin but the RCPT TO:
envelope sender is going to read:

RCPT TO: user@???

Which is how I want it to look.

The uuname router will deliver the message to one of the uucp neighbors listed
in your uucp configs.