Re: Smtpbatch and aliases...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Ryde
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: Smtpbatch and aliases...
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Daniel Ryde wrote:

> I'm trying to use the bsmtp option in the appendfile transport. This in
> conjunktion with the earlier discussion about Envelope-to / aliasfile
> de-duplication problem. Is it possible to get this to work using the bsmtp
> batch as well, to only add the RCPT that the message matched in the alias
> de-duplication?

I'm not sure about this. The RCPT TO in bsmtp is like the name of the
mailbox in a normal delivery, and so it is the *final* address that gets
put there. If you have

hostmaster: user@domain
postmaster: user@domain

and then send mail to "hostmaster,postmaster", what gets written into
the RCPT TO command is "user@domain" because that is exactly the same as
would happen if the message were being sent down a real SMTP channel,
that is, if "domain" were some external domain. I don't think this
should be changed.

I can see a way to do what you want, but it needs some changes that are
already planned, but not done. If you were to set up the alias file like
this

hostmaster: /some/file
postmaster: /some/file

then you *would* get two separate deliveries, just as you do for pipes,
and this should also happen for wildcards. However, at the moment there
is only one transport that handles file deliveries specified from
aliases or forward files, so you would have to set bsmtp for all of
them, which is probably not what you want. I am already intending to
extend this so that each director can specify a transport for pipes or
files which would allow you to separate these off.

Philip