Re: Administrative prohibition ?

Author: Piete Brooks
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Nigel R. Armfield, exim-users
Subject: Re: Administrative prohibition ?
>> The error is always:
>>
>> 550 rejected: administrative prohibition
>> 550 <thing@???>... User unknown
> It is it literally that, there is a bug somewhere, because a 2-line
> message like that is syntactically invalid.

[ I assume "If it is" ... ]

Might I be correct in guessing that the error message is that seen by the
sending *USER* rather than by the sending *MTA* ?

The impression that I have gained is that when (e.g.) sendmail gets a 550, it
returns the user
    1) the exact message it received
    2) its own interpretation of what has happened.
In this case:
    1) 550 rejected: administrative prohibition
    2) I got a 550 while trying to send to thing@??? -- FYI 550
       normally means something like "User unknown"

Could that be the case ?