Re: # not in first column in many source headers

Author: Scotty Logan
To: Philip Hazel
CC: J.Goldberg, exim-users
Subject: Re: # not in first column in many source headers
Philip Hazel wrote
> On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > I've been having some trouble compiling 1.73 on OFS/v4.02 with
> > cc.
> >
> > The first noticable problem is that many preprocessor directives
> > have things [...] where the '#' is not in column one.
>
> I'm sorry. This is one point where I stick. Exim is written in ANSI C
> (see under "Limitations"). The standard is getting on for 10 years old
> now, and I really did feel when I started on Exim that the time had come
> to draw a line.

What's wrong with

% find . -name '*.[ch]'|xargs perl -pi.bak -e 's/^( +)#/#$1/'

in the base of the exim source tree, which changes

   #if ...
      #include ...

#if ...
# include ...

Not only does it preserve the indentation while keeping older cpps
happy, it also helps other tools which rely on pre-processor
directives starting with # in column 1, such as the syntax colouring
in Emacs cc-mode.

> Having said that, I seem to recall that on DEC's OSF system you have
> to say something to the compiler to get it to recognize standard C,
> but it can be made to do so. Something like -std I think.

-std1 for strict ANSI compliance; -std for ANSI compliance with some
allowances, -std0 for K&R.

Scotty

--
Scotty Logan, Unix Systems Programmer, mailto:scotty.logan@oucs.ox.ac.uk
Oxford University Computing Services, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford UK OX2 6NN

         Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway