Re: # not in first column in many source headers

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeffrey Goldberg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: # not in first column in many source headers
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

> I've been having some trouble compiling 1.73 on OFS/v4.02 with
> cc.
>
> The first noticable problem is that many preprocessor directives
> have things like
>
> #if ...
>    #include ....

> where the '#' is not in column one. Maybe gcc can cope, but for
> reasons to tedious to explain gcc is not an option at the moment.

I'm sorry. This is one point where I stick. Exim is written in ANSI C
(see under "Limitations"). The standard is getting on for 10 years old
now, and I really did feel when I started on Exim that the time had come
to draw a line.

Having said that, I seem to recall that on DEC's OSF system you have to
say something to the compiler to get it to recognize standard C, but it
can be made to do so. Something like -std I think.