Re: .forward on /dev/null homedir freeze

Author: Daniel Ryde
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: .forward on /dev/null homedir freeze
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> It does defer it if can't stat() the directory. This covers the case of
> NFS mount not present. Having had a successful stat(), it freezes if it
> can't open the forward file, unless the error is "file does not exist".

Oum, I "chmod 0" on the .forward file, and all messages went frozen
instead... Is this good? It is quite common that users chmod their
forwardfile to stop the forwarding. This would make postmaster go nuts.

> I guess I should look at the results of the stat and see if it really is
> a directory, and act at that point.

Yes, and a little more restrictive freeze policy. Don't freeze if you
can't read the forwardfile (I guess you do a stat on the forwardfile as
well), just skip this director. Otherwise the users can't get their mail
unless the postmaster unfreezes them.

Best Regards

Daniel Ryde, System Administrator
Tripnet AB                Visit Address:      Telephone:  +46 31 7252500
Box 5071                  Avagen 42           Facsimile:  +46 31 7252501
S-402 22 GOTEBORG         GOTEBORG            Email:      ryde@???
Sweden                    Sweden