Re: config file changes

Author: Adrian Bool
To: Jim Gottlieb
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: config file changes
On Fri 24 Oct, Jim Gottlieb wrote:
> Exim does not appear to notice config file changes on its own, and
> requires a HUP. Is this correct? If so, I'd like to request the
> former behavior be added to the (looong) wish list.

Narr. not nice - too easy for exim to start runnign a half altered
config... OK, sure best not to edit in place but..

> We distribute the configure file by rdist, and it's a royal pain to
> have to then manually log in to every machine to do a kill -HUP. Sure,
> I can write some script that checks to see if it has changed and then
> does a HUP, but it would be nice if exim did this automagically.

You can do it with rdist!

Err. lets see...

Take an .rdist file of,

FILES = ( /opt/exim/etc/configure )

HOSTS = ( mserv0.my.net mserv1.my.net mserv2.my.net )

(${FILES}) -> (${HOSTS})
    install ;
    special ".update"

Then on the destination machines, in the user's directory that
rdist is running under put a script called .update,

#!/bin/sh
kill -HUP `cat /opt/exim/exim.pid`

Sore something liek this... I din;t use it for exim but for
RADIUS stuff.. a bit of playing you shol get it going OK.

Good luck

aid

--
Adrian J Bool            | mailto:aid@u-net.net