Relay Configuration to prevent Spam.

Author: Daniel L. Mercer
To: exim-users
Subject: Relay Configuration to prevent Spam.
Hello,

We have had recent problems with one of our hosts being used to relay
unsolicited email. I wasn't terribly thrilled to change SMTP servers mid
semester, but with thousands of spam messages going through every night,
we had to do something, and so we replaced the old version Sendmail on the
machine with Exim 1.73. The host is a Sparc 20 running Solaris with all
recommended patches installed.

At first, it seemed that the default configuration of denying all relay
requests would work, and indeed the first night Exim blocked 6000 messages
from the spam site. We shortly began to receive calls from another
department at the University who apparently had begun using the machine as
an outgoing SMTP server for POP mail. Of course, their mail was not
permitted to be delivered via Pulsar.

I have read the Specification at www.exim.org and through the archive of
the exim mailing list, and I thought I had configured Exim to relay all
mail outgoing from our SMTP server while denying other networks/domains,
but reading through my mail log from last night, it seems I failed. Under
normal circumstances, I would reread and re-attempt the configuration on
my own, but I am very frustrated with these blasted spammers and really
would like to get a solution in place to STOP this nonsense while not
crippling folks at my site. Here are the directives I used:

relay_domains = *
sender_net_accept_relay = 161.6.0.0/255.255.0.0
sender_host_reject_relay = *

Which I thought would allow anyone at our class B network to relay mail
to any host on the internet while denying any other host. Please forgive
me if this is a silly set of rules: I'm new at Exim, but willing to learn.

If anyone has accomplished a set of rules similar to what I described and
could mail me the pertinent bits of their configure files, I would be
eternally grateful. All input and criticism is welcome: I hopefully have
r'd all tfm, but I may have missed something.

Thank you for your consideration,

                    Dan Mercer
                    dmercer@???
                    ACRS UNIX Administration