Re: Closed mailing lists

Author: Doug S
To: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Closed mailing lists
Thus spake John Horne:
> Is it possible to truly verify that a message has come from a specified user?
> We would like the postmaster to be the only user able to access certain site-
> wide lists, but need to be sure that the sender really is the postmaster. I
> don't think it can be done but have turned on all the checking available
> anyway. (If I tell the boss "no" then we've got a bit more thinking to do :-(
> The only aspect we haven't looked at, and don't use at the moment, is the
> rfc1413 Ident.

This sounds like something a mailing list manager can do.

Majordomo, for example, can define a list as "moderated" - in which case
an 'Approved' post must have a specific header and password included for
it to be distributed (which is removed at distribution time), otherwise
the mail gets bounced to the list-owner.

Other mlm's may have similar features.

--
Doug S. (doug@???) (http://cc.ysu.edu/~doug/)

If you get hung up on what you did wrong, you're never gonna get anywhere.
        -- Kenneth Copeland