Re: delivery error message

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Crabtree
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: delivery error message
On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, David Crabtree wrote:

> > > : 1997-10-14 14:13:34 3 args: /usr/exim/bin/exim -Mc 0xL9hc-00058g-00
> > > : 1997-10-14 14:13:34 0xL9hc-00058g-00 == scottn@??? directing defer
> > > : (-26): retry time not reached
> > >

> It turned out that scottn's directory listed in the password file was not
> actually there /home/scottn, so while exim looked for a .forward file on
> this user it failed and died for this users moving the message into the
> queue for retry.

That is correct behaviour. Exim insists on there being a home directory
that it can see before looking for a .forward file. Here's the comment
from the source:

/* You might think we could just test for the existence of the required file by
attempting to open it, but life isn't that simple. In many large systems,
.forward files in users' home directories are used, with the home directories
possibly NFS-mounted from some remote place. It doesn't seem possible to detect
the state of "NFS mount inaccessible" just by trying to open a file.

The common case is specified with a relative path name (relative to the home
directory or to a specified directory), and in that case we try to do a bit
better by statting the directory first. If it cannot be statted, assume there
is some mounting problem, and defer the delivery. */