quoting bug

Author: Tom
To: exim-users
Subject: quoting bug

Exim seems to have a problem with quoting. The following shows that
Exim verifies tom@??? as correct, but not "tom"@???, even though
they are the same thing, just that the local part is quoted.

220 misery.sdf.com ESMTP Exim 1.71 #1 Thu, 9 Oct 1997 12:19:52 -0700
helo stuff
250 misery.sdf.com: Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
mail from:<tom@???>
250 <tom@???> is syntactically correct
rcpt to:<tom@???>
250 <tom@???> verified
rcpt to:<"tom"@???>
550 Unknown local part in <"tom"@???>
quit
221 misery.sdf.com closing connection

Exim also doesn't quote or escape when it should. For example, if
someone sends a message to local.@domain.com, it should be converted to
"local."@??? for SMTP transport (see RFC-821, page 30, <dot-string>
item).

The reason why I've been digging into this, is that I need to be able
to support local-parts with spaces in them (mainly to deliver to IMAP
folders created with Netscape, etc; IMAP allows such folders, and I need
to be able to deliver direct to them). However, currently it does work so
well.

Tom
Systems Support
SDF