SMTP transport with no host set

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: SMTP transport with no host set
For some time now I've noticed mail from our test system always being sent
back to our central mailhub instead of direct to the user (located on a file
server). I've assumed this was due to my trying to configure the test system
AS the main mailhub and that exim was either realising what I was doing or
that I had set something that didn't need setting.

I had previously set "hosts=plymouth.ac.uk" in the smtp transport, but as far
as I can tell I shouldn't need this. When I take it out the mail freezes with
the message "local_smtp transport called with no hosts set". (Local_smtp is
the name of the smtp transport being used for local deliveries). The manual
seems to imply that generally the "hosts" option shouldn't be need, but I'm
still a bit lost as to when/how a message arrives at the transport with no
host set. I'm assuming this is what's happening but don't know why.

Running exim (1.71) with debug level 9 doesn't seem to give any hint as to
what's going on (to me that is!). A typical mail message will pass through an
aliasfile director to get to the transport - the transport is explicitly set
in the director. So I assume, as the manual states, that the data part of
the alias file lookup is being ignored (I ask/state this since in our case
the lookup would otherwise return data which is just a username along with a
subkey which is used by rewriting rules).

Any ideas?

John.