domain name and host lookup defer retry time

Author: E.G.Groenboom
To: exim-users
CC: bart (nlnet)
Subject: domain name and host lookup defer retry time
Hi,

Could anyone give me some clues about the configuration problems I
have with exim?
Both sending as well as receiving mail isn't working.

I have installed the Debian Linux distribution from the latest Infomagic
CDROM set. I have installed only exim as mailing system - both sendmail
and smail are NOT installed, so there is no conflict possible.
I use a dial-up link to my ISP (PPP).

About receiving: I try to retrieve mail from the POPserver using
fetchmail, like I used to on my old Linux installation (the Slackware
distribution of Nov 1995) with sendmail. And that worked
perfectly. So I know the problem isn't necessarily fetchmail.

I have figured out exim misses the domain name. Exim returns
"recipient address must contain a domain" because fetchmail delivers
mail to the username. Following the instructions of the fetchmail FAQ
and the exim documentation I have added the following line in
/etc/exim.conf :

        sender_unqualified_hosts = localhost:inter.nl.net

[inter.nl.net is the domain of my POPserver.]

And I have also tried

        sender_unqualified_hosts = *

Without any success. What do I do wrong?

-----------
Sending mail also doesn't work. For example: when sending mail to
myself I get the following message in eximon:

e.g.groenboom@??? routing defer (-23): retry time not reached

and, later:
e.g.groenboom@??? R=lookuphost defer (-1): host lookup did
not complete

(which is not a surprise of course).

What could be the problem? Also sending mail to local users
produces the same messages. I am sure DNS does work, because while
these message are generated I can use Netscape and telnet (otherwise I
wasn't able to send this message...)

Must something be done with exim_dumpdb ?? I don't know.

If you need more information to locate the source of these problems, I
would be happy to provide it to you!!
Thank you very much in advance.

Bart.