Re: system wide message filtering

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mark Willson
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: system wide message filtering
On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Mark Willson wrote:

> I'm using Exim 1.61 and was wondering if it's possible to filter
> outbound messages similar to the way inbounds are with
> "system_filter:"? I'm willing to upgrade to the latest stable version
> if needed.

What Exim calls a "system filter" is applied to *all* deliveries, both
inbound and outbound. However, it is run only once per message, not once
per address.

> I'm trying to keep an audit trail of all in/outbound mail for my domain.
> (we handle a few others that I don't want).

Surely the easiest way to do this is just to extract the entries from
your domain from the log? Check out the "exigrep" utility.

> I currently have:
>
>    system_filter:
>      no_verify,
>      driver = forwardfile;
>      no_check_local_user,
>      filter,
>      file = /usr/local/exim/filter,
>      user = nobody

That will run the filter file for all incoming mail, for each local
address.

> and a filter of:
>
>    # Exim filter - this line is required
>    if $header_to: contains "mydomain.com" or
>       $header_from: contains "mydomain.com"
>    then
>            unseen pipe "/usr/local/lib/loadallmail"
>    endif

> Also, the above config does not capture mail to a user who has
> an alias that contains a pipe.
>
>    theguy: theguy,"|/usr/local/lib/loadguymail"

It wouldn't. Once the pipe has been encountered, there is no more
directing to be done.

> I've also tried the following with no success:
>
>    message_filter_user = nobody
>    message_filter_group = nobody
>    message_filter = /usr/local/exim/filter

> It just complains that there is no user set for the pipe transport.

You will need to put a user= option on the "address_pipe" transport so
that Exim knows who to run it as, since you are generating a pipe
address from a place that doesn't have an associated user. However, as I
said above, this will run only once per message, and it sounds as if
that isn't what you are after.