Re: permissions on config files

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Morby
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: permissions on config files
On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Jon Morby wrote:

> Global configurations mainly ... Things like the system_alias director.
>
> The only reference in spec.txt I can see which relates to modes talks in the
> context of mailbox's not configuration files.

There isn't anything available for changing who may own *the* main
configuration file. The built-in code checks that it is owned by root or
exim, and if it is group writeable, that the group is exim. It also
insists that it not be world-writeable.

Options for changing this would have to be built in at compile time,
since they clearly can't be read from the main configuration! Would you
like me to consider something along those lines for the Wish List? The
check is done around line 1796 of readconf.c if you want to hack.

However, I'm not clear from what you wrote above whether you really are
wanting to change the specification of the system_aliases director, or
whether you want people to be able to change the files to which it
refers, e.g. /etc/aliases. If the latter, then the owners, owngroups,
and modemask options of the aliasfile director can help you.

Philip