Re: several messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders, Ilya Ketris
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: several messages
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, John Henders wrote:

> After the discussion last week on $original_local_part and
> $original_domain I thought it would be very useful if this info could be
> put in the header, so I tried crafting my own received_header_text
> config.

Remember, remember, remember: A message can be addressed to many
recipients, some of which are BCC recipients that appear only in the
envelope and should not be revealed to other recipients.

The Received: header is built when a message is received, and is the
same for all copies of the message that are sent to all recipients.
The $original_local_part and $original_domain variables are set only
during *one* delivery, to refer to the envelope recipient that refers to
that one delivery. Therefore, they cannot be used in Received.

You could craft some special header using a transport filter, I suppose,
but why bother? Exim already provides the option to add an
Envelope-Sender: header to messages as they are delivered. For example,
messages sent to postmaster on my system get to me, but they contain the
line

> but just got errors from exim. The spec doesn't really mention what
> variables are available for this besides the ones that are in the
> default.

The spec does go on about processing addresses in its description of the
$original_xxx variables. I'll try to make that more explicit.

> The reason I would like to this is to be able to help identify
> what mail address a mailing list or spammer is delivering mail to. Can
> it be done?

You can set log_received_recipients to cause the list of envelope
addressees to get put into the log.

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Ilya Ketris wrote:

>    Besides, I suggest it be just one ${variable} before splitting
>    to ${host} and ${local_part}, just what we got in MAIL FROM:.

In a filter file, people often want to check the local part, which is
why I provided them split up.