Confusion in getting relay prevention to work

Author: F. Jacot Guillarmod
To: exim-users
Subject: Confusion in getting relay prevention to work

Call me dim-witted, but I can't get relay control to work properly on
our systems. This after blissfully assuming it had been configured
correctly :-(

The complication is that our systems are being used as mail gateways -
mail from Novell servers using Mercury is being pointed at one of our exim
machines, which in turn is the target of an MX for those Novell servers.
Similarly, another of our exim machines is being used as a dialup uucp
gateway to many (several hundred) other MX only dialup hosts, not all
in the same domain.

So, to simplify the description of the setup, we have:

    exim.ru.ac.za as the MX target and outgoing SMTP gateway for

        novella.ru.ac.za and
        novellb.school.za

which means we want exim.ru.ac.za to accept relaying from anywhere
destined for either novella or novellb (because it is an MX target for
these systems), but to prevent relaying to anywhere else.

We also want exim.ru.ac.za to accept relaying only from novella and
novellb to anywhere else (because it is the SMTP gateway for these
machines).

Try as I might, I can't get this to work symmetrically. Seemingly,
whichever permutation I try of the sender_host_reject_relay and
relay_domains family of parameters, I can get exim to deliver only to
novella/b, but then block off gatewaying from novella/b or vice versa.
I've read the docs (for exim 1.71) what seems like several dozen times,
and am either hopelessly confused, or else exim doesn't support this
particular scenario.

I'm hoping that somebody is going to tell me I'm stupid!

Regards,
--
F.F. Jacot Guillarmod - Information Technology - Rhodes University - Grahamstown
      Internet: Jacot@???  Phone: +27 461 318284 Fax: +27 461 27764