Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Piete Brooks
CC: tcobb, exim-users
Subject: Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Piete Brooks wrote:

> > A thought, if one can run two Exims on the same spool (one accepting
> > mail, the other running the queue) then at least queue-running on
> > alternate machines would be possible.
>
> Err -- I've not done it, but isn't that simple ?
> Can't you just tell the "in" server to "just queue everything",
> and have the "out" server to run "exim -q" ?

And that would work even if the two were running on two different
machines, since only one of them would be generating message ids.

Oops, no, sorry, not quite true. The "out" server might generate
delivery error messages which it would send to itself. You still need
some kind of machine id in the message id, as previously noted.