Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations

Author: Greg A. Woods
To: Jon Morby
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations
[ On Wed, September 24, 1997 at 14:34:57 (+0100), Jon Morby wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Locking and concurrency -- system considerations
>
> > Essentially, the assumption is that each host has its own spool and log
> > files.
>
> Unfortunately this assumption doesn't scale particularly well :(

I think that's a more than fair assumption as I don't believe this is
where the scaling of a mailer should done -- it would be bad design,
complexity for complexity's sake, and all that.

Scale the boxes (i.e. the hardware) and scale the division of labour
(i.e. multiple systems responsible for their own share of services).

> (What happens when one of your relays goes down, and you've got a couple of
> thousand messages in it's queue?) The mail gets delayed until you can bring
> another box up and mount that spool. Unacceptable in todays market with
> consumers rather than techies coming onto the Net.

If this is an issue then you have multiple mail hosts in multiple
locations with appropriate MX configurations and you have a hot standby
machine which can be swapped in almost instantly, perhaps even by remote
control using electronic switches and a console server.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>