Re: Exim's queue processing algorithm

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Exim's queue processing algorithm
Whilst on this subject I must admit to being a touched confused about the
retry process myself. As in the example below retries are expected to occur
every 15 minutes. However, the manual states that the retry times are only
hints and that a queue-running process will attempt delivery for any messages
that have passed their next retry time. This queue-running process is though
(I assume) the process initiated, in our case, at system startup by "exim -bd
-q30m". In that case the process only runs every 30 mins and so, in effect,
only half the attempts expected actually occur (follow that?? :-) ). Am I
right in this?

We have changed the "-q" parameter to 20m, but I gather that from sendmail a
minimum of 30mins was recommended. I have also changed our retry rules to be
in accordance with the 20mins so that whenever exim runs any local addresses
will be retried but without it having passed 2 (or more) retry times. (our
values are in effect : "*@plymouth.ac.uk * F,2h,20m")

> On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, William Craven wrote:
>
> > *       *       F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

John.