Exim's queue processing algorithm

Author: William Craven
To: exim-users
Subject: Exim's queue processing algorithm
Could someone please outline Exim's queue processing algorithm....

I am trying to understand why messages being delivered locally are
waiting in the queue for over 3 hours !! Over the last couple of weeks
we have experienced our system loads to go over the deliver_load_max
configuration option at about 10% of the time. The queue run is run
every fifteen minutes with the following retry setting

domain    error    retries
*       *       F,2h,15m; G,16h,2h,1.5; F,4d,8h

So I was expecting that most of the local deliveries locally to be done
within two hours but this does not seem the case. Hence my earlier
request.....

Is it possible to specify "local" deliveries in this configuration such
that it is to attempt local deliveries before remote deliveries.

Wm.

BTW we are running Exim 1.61 - I am current running 1.71 on one of our
test systems and note that 1.71 has an additional configuration option
of deliver_queue_load_max which may help to alleviate the situation.

--
William Craven                Email:  William.Craven@???
University Computing Services        Tel:    +1-604-822-8955