1.71 build failed (weird)

Author: Neal Becker
To: exim-users
Subject: 1.71 build failed (weird)
exim-1.71 hpux9.05 hppa1.1 gnumake-3.75

On the first try at "make":
[...]
gcc -o exim  accept.o child.o daemon.o dbfn.o debug.o deliver.o direct.o directory.o drtables.o exim.o expand.o filter.o globals.o header.o host.o log.o match.o moan.o os.o parse.o queue.o readconf.o regexp.o retry.o rewrite.o route.o search.o smtp_in.o spool_in.o spool_out.o store.o string.o tod.o transport.o tree.o verify.o version.o \
     libident/libident.a directors/directors.a routers/routers.a \
     transports/transports.a \
        -lndbm
gcc: libident/libident.a: No such file or directory
gcc: directors/directors.a: No such file or directory
gcc: routers/routers.a: No such file or directory
gcc: transports/transports.a: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [exim] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/a/local/beta/chekov/exim-1.71/build-HP-UX-hppa1.1'
cc -c    -I. drtables.c
cpp: "exim.h", line 204: warning 2013: Unknown preprocessing directive.
cpp: "exim.h", line 205: warning 2013: Unknown preprocessing directive.

COOL! 2 weird things happened:

1) We tried to link exim before building all the libs
2) We decided to use cc instead of gcc, for no particular reason. In
Local/Makefile-HP-UX I have "CC=gcc", just as I always have.

I have build many exim's before with the same setup.

Now weirder maybe: I just said "make" again, and it worked fine! This
time all the libs were build, and no attempt to use cc instead of
gcc. Hickup? NFS problem? (hmm... all the bin utils are on the
local disk, don't know about that).