Routers injecting item into director chain?

Author: Dr. Rich Artym
To: exim-users
Subject: Routers injecting item into director chain?
Now that I've installed 1.70 all over the place and it's working
perfectly, I've finally found time to sit down and read the docs,
cover to cover. That's really impressive configurability, Philip!

Here's a question though. Routers can specify a transport, even a
local transport, so that for example a router can decide that an
address is local after all, despite not appearing in local_domains.
This can be jolly useful at times.

However, it would be far more powerful if one could inject a routed
item not into a local transport but into the director chain, so that
much more clever processing could be performed -- subdomain-to-suffix
transformations and new_address come to mind, which would allow much
tighter control over rewriting destinations than the current global
rewrite system.

Is there any obvious reason why this sort of thing can't be done?

I don't think that the existing generic self option can deal with this
requirement because it allows only domains to be rerouted, not addresses
respecified, so information in the domain part can be lost. I suppose
the "self" facilities could be extended though, so that something like
"self = new_address:remap-$domain@localhost" would then be able to
inject the item into the director chain. Or, is there some other way
of getting routed items processed by directors?

Rich.
--
###########  Dr. Rich Artym  ================  PGP public key available
# galacta #  Email   : rich@???         158.152.156.137