Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine

Author: John Bolding
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Reverse dns checking for local machine
    > From: "Dr. Rich Artym" <rartym@???>
    > Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 10:30:46 +0100
    >
    > Numerous reasons have already been given in this thread.  Pure and
    > simply, direct delivery is far and away the best method of delivering
    > mail, by a million miles.

Sure, but if direct delivery is done by a machine that is not connected
to a static IP address 24 hours a day, then how can net abuse be handled.
i.e. how can we make people accountable for their internet actions.

    > There is only one way of dealing with spam in a way that doesn't
    > compromise individual freedom, and that is to provide customers with
    > individual web-controlled filters so that *they* decide what is
    > passed through to them and what is junked.

This assumes that all SPAM __can__ be detected by a filter,
that all SPAMMERS will somehow mark their SPAM so users can
readily junk SPAM on demand. If you have such a filter, please
share it with the rest of us.

Plus, we get many pieces of SPAM from people claiming their unsolicited
email is not SPAM, that certainly we must be interested in product X,
or book Y, or service Z.

As soon as __all__ SPAMMERS mark their email, then we could all be
less anal about blocking ports, filtering complete domains, etc.

But we know this is not going to happen anytime soon, if at all, so
we use good software, like exim, to block users and domains,
and we should be taking whatever other steps we can to make sure
our machines are not used by a few to abuse the masses.

Yes, it is very, very ugly out there. Enforcing accountability is
certainly not compromising individual freedoms nor is it censorship.

--john@???