${lookup} in message_filter?

Author: Jason S Kohles
To: exim-users
Subject: ${lookup} in message_filter?
I have been trying to use the lookup function in a system filter, and it
doesnt appear to work, basically what I want to do is this, I have a large
rejects file that gets used by these two configuration entries:

sender_reject_recipients = @@partial0-lsearch;/etc/mail/rejects
sender_host_reject= @@partial0-lsearch;/etc/mail/rejects

and I would like to do this same type of lookup from within my message_filter
(so that I can do some more advanced logging, and save a copy of the message).

I have tried various permutations of:

if ${lookup {$sender} @@partial0-lsearch{/etc/mail/rejects} {1} {0}}
then
logfile /var/log/spam/by-reject-file 0666
log "$tod_log - $h_to - $h_from - $h_subject - ($h_to,$h_from)"
seen deliver spambot
endif

and they all fail with Error in message_filter file: unrecognized condition
word "{$sender}" near line 267 of filter file, I have tried $sender, $h_from,
$h_to, etc, but none of them work...

Is there any way to do what I am attempting to do? I am running Exim 1.70...

    Jason Kohles -- System Administrator -- XMission Internet Access
      robobob@??? (at work) robobob@??? (at play)
       "I have not lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere."