Re: New mailer on the scene

Author: Piete Brooks
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: m.hampson, exim-users
Subject: Re: New mailer on the scene
>} So would I. Is there such a comparison of qmail and exim.
> Not an unbiased one.

Nor is there likley to be one ...

Few people have a *FULL* understanding of qmail and exim,
and I suspect all that do are either exim or qmail users,
so will be biased to some extent.

> I think qmail itself is revolutionary and an impressive piece of work,

Agreed -- as is VMail.
Howaver, qmail has certain base assumptions (e.g. one message per SMTP stream,
"non std" local delivery) which are not to my liking.

> the qmail/vmail ones are almost stress tests - which are valuable,

... and relatively easy to get objectively ...

> Then there is the issue of features, and as part of that, although
> important enough to be a section of its own is security.

And here things get very subjective ...
Each site has its own special requirements, which can probably be achieved in
a number of ways, several of which may not be known to long term users of the
MTA concverned !

Having been involved in the design of exim at the early stages, and having a
responsive developer who will add almost anything which appears useful,
this is the main reason for me staying with exim, rather than going for VMail
(along with the fact that I feel [subjectively] that as a "/usr/lib/sendmail"
replacement for a tiny number of locally generated email [our std MUAs all
inject messages to the mail hubs over SMTP] on our 350+ workstations
[9 different architectures], VMail's complexity of processes is a bit OTT.
As a serious mail hub, it looks great.
)

> I do mean, as soon as I get round to it, to add a couple of things to exim
> which would mean us dropping the setuid root side of it, but my setup is
> rather unusual (no local users, no user modifiable stuff etc).

What is needed ?
I currently run /usr/lib/sendmail setuid exim on all our machines,
with only the two mail hubs (to which users do not have access) having a
setuid /usr/exim/bin/exim listening on port 25.