Re: Upgrading to 1.70

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Andrew Alston, exim-users
Subject: Re: Upgrading to 1.70
ph10@??? said:
} Of course, it's a good idea to run some tests when you install the
} new binary, just in case.

As a minimum, after compile and before install try these sorts of things:-

    ./exim -bP    # syntax checks your config file!
    ./exim -bp    # make sure it can read the queue (needs some privs)

Then you can try a delivery etc from there.

Interestingly enough, I remember that one machine I took up from an oldish
release to 1.70 did complain about the config file - seems its rather more
strict on syntax in places.

ph10@??? said:
} And don't forget to SIGHUP your Exim daemon in order to get it to
} reload the new binary. Oh, and also notice that there is one small
} patch to 1.70.

eximwhat is wonderful - tells you what each process is doing and what
version it is. An hour after you have upgraded (and sighup-ed) try
running it just to check that everything is now the same version.... this
actually uncovered a kernel bug in or linux/SPARC boxes where incoming
connections can get stuck under strange circumstances.

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]