Re: Stopping SPAM to the exim users list

Author: Manar Hussain
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Stopping SPAM to the exim users list
>It occurred to me to wonder where the spammers had got the address from.
>>From the most recent incident it seems like it is from the web site. I
>have suggested to Nigel Metheringham that perhaps the email addresses
>shouldn't be so blatantly obvious on the web site. (He's away today.)

What could be done is to have two addresses for the list. One that is
advertised on the web site which works fine but you must have subscribed
first and another one which will let anyone post to it.

Easy enough to do but maybe getting a bit convoluted.

Bottom line here is where the balance between ease of posting by legit and
non-legit people whose email address isn't recognised by the mail system.
(Hmm - shouldn't be *that* much of a hack of majordomo to be able to set a
list of domains as acceptable for mail to be sent from rather than just
email addresses).

BTW - exploders are not just to allow a local admin person to put people on
and off the list: if that's all that is desired any admin type person
capable of running an exploder can fake an email to subscribe the user
instead.

BTW2 - this problem actually happen more often for people posting with
addresses other than the one with which they are subscribed. E.G. trying to
post with a from line of woods@??? when you are subscribed as
woods@??? or even wibble@??? when subscribed as
wibble@??? as it were ...

Manar