Smartuser director

Author: Ray Smith
To: exim-users
Subject: Smartuser director
Hello all,
    I am an excited, albeit frustrated, new user of EXIM. I am excited
because it appears that EXIM will do all that I want to do (relay for us
only, smartuser capability, and whole site filtering). I am a wee bit
frustrated because I can't seem to get it to do what I want.

    Here is the situation. I am setting up a couple of boxes to handle
e-mail relaying for my domain. We have two primary e-mail systems here
(Notes with an SMTP gateway and a UNIX critter with POP). What I want the
new machines to do is handle e-mail for the entire csc.com domain which
appears to be fairly easily to do via aliases (I have complete user lists
of the Notes and UNIX e-mail systems).

    What I am having trouble with is the 'smartuser' director. I want
to use this to pass off anything it can't figure out (i.e. something we
don't have an alias for) to a machine that has more knowledge about the
internal systems (like full name aliases and e-mail lists). It appears
this is doable but all things I have tried have resulted in an error of
some sort or the other.

    If anyone has an example for something similar to what I want to
do I would be grateful if you would send it to me.

Thanks,
Ray
--
                                Ray Smith