Re: In praise of exim

Author: Manar Hussain
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: In praise of exim
Nigel,

I noticed your mail to exim-users with interest, I'd be very interested in
seeing some of the stuff you've chucked together as it looks like you've
put some good work into them - any chance of access to a tar ball of it?
(trust I'm not being too cheeky :)

We've been working on a system for virtual domain support and linking
through to a now fully virtual domain-ised majordomo set-up and we'd be
happy to share.

Also I've been collecting a fair bit of bumph about anti-spam measures etc.
(mainly from here and the SPAM-L list) that I've been planning on sorting
it out for a while - I'd be happy to work with you on a HOWTO/FAQ example
exim config snippets etc.

>The new system has a number of front ends working to an NFS mail spool
>using Dan Bernstein's maildir format for the spool (which makes mail work
>over NFS pretty well without locking problems and giving good performance
>for POP). Exim is a standard (but development) version - 1.653 - with an
>"interesting" configuration which handles *many* domains and has lots of
>rewrite stuff enabled, plenty of recipient checking etc.... There is also
>a small system filter - currently mostly picking up on excessive recipient
>counts. The config was written to make *very* extensive use of db lookups.
>
>The pop side was stolen from qmail (and modified slightly to do logging
>and to mark mail read).
>
>Its performing wonderfully. Load averages are well down. The queue
>"feels" a reasonable length. The old mail transfered like a dream
>(although that was done with a perl script outside of the mailers).
>
>All of this would have been much harder without the extensive help given
>by Philip Hazel in providing exim, helping out with suggestions on how to
>achieve things, implementing maildir from my initial nags and prototype
>code etc. Also help to a number of other people who have contributed
>ideas to the mailing list, helped me out on some SPAM rules etc. I owe
>you all a debt of gratitude and almost certainly some beer.
>
>[As part of the payback, I really *will* get back to my HOWTO/FAQ document
>on SPAM filtering which lapsed a little while back]
>
>    Nigel.

Cheers,

Manar