Re: checking for .forward as root, not exim?

Author: david
To: Chris Harris
CC: John Henders, exim-users
Subject: Re: checking for .forward as root, not exim?
On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Chris Harris wrote:

> Because procmail can only deliver to relatively "lame" mailbox formats.
> We currently use the UW's tmail delivery program to deliver, for
> non-procmail users, to the mbx mailbox format, which is noticably faster
> and more reliable when accessed over IMAP.
>
> Additionally, I still need to be able to check whether or not people have
> .forward files, which can't be done as exim on chmod 700 home
> directories....

Another item I've run into with procmail is that it requires VM space
larget than the size of the message.

That's fine with normal mail messages, but not when people use it as an
ftp substitute to send 40 MB attachments.

Using procmail to only deliver to people with .procmailrc files seems like
the best solution in my case.

--- David

> On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, John Henders wrote:
>
> > Why have a special director check for a .procmailrc when you can just
> > make procmail be the default delivery program?

        It's *amazing* what one can accomplish when
            one doesn't know what one can't do!