Re: Relaying for legitimate downed hosts

Author: Chris Thompson
To: Greg Andrews
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Relaying for legitimate downed hosts
Greg Andrews writes:

> Perhaps that's the state of things in the UK, but here in the US many
> spammers are using the relay's domain in their envelope sender address.

It can be quite difficult, if you are not in a position to investigate the
innards of the relay site itself, to distinguish between this and the relay
site automatically qualifying the addresses it is receiving. A default Exim
configuration wouldn't do this (sender_unqualified_{hosts,nets} default
to being empty) but I get the impression that most out-of-the-box sendmail's
will.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.