Re: Relaying for legitimate downed hosts

Author: Manar Hussain
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Relaying for legitimate downed hosts
>Pete Ashdown allegedly said:
>[blah]
>> So is there a hook in which I can state if the "from" is a valid user
>> on my mail server, they can use it as a relay from elsewhere?
>
>So if the spammer fakes mail from a legitimate user of your site, it's
>OK? Yikes, I'd have thought that would be WORSE than them just relaying
>through you.

Worse in some ways - but it requires more effort from the spammer to work
this out. I accept thought that if(/once) the spammer does work it ought
then the result is worse. On the other hand spammers have a history of
doing this sort of thing anyways and I would have thought that the chances
of spam being sent looking like it came from one of your customers would
not increase significantly whilest the chance of random abuse of your relay
facility would decrease significantly ...

The other thing is that the spammer is more obviously doing something
illegal (it really would have to be considered fraud) and you are possibly
thus more likely to do something about it in law ...

I would think we'd be interested in the facility (we'll be launching a
service soon where this will become relevant at which point we'll be
looking to try and find the best solution too ... )

Manar