Re: Automatic Expirey (was:Re: Year 2000. )

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Sean Witham
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Exim User's List (E-mail)
Asunto: Re: Automatic Expirey (was:Re: Year 2000. )

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> Eh? Haven't I been arguing with you over the last few days about whether
> to use 2-digit or 4-digit year numbers in precisely this facility?

Yes but I wanted to move on to other asspects such as the effect and
any other forms of implementation or optioins that people wanted to
discuss.

> (2) We had a discussion about such a facility here, and the consensus
> was that it is a bad thing to encourage lots of people to create lots of
> addresses that will fail. Essentially the view was that this particular
> cure would be worse than the disease because, for example, postings to
> Usenet get archived, and people scan the archive for a long time and
> expect to be able to get in touch with the posters; if they get "unknown
> user" they are liable to bother the postmaster at the relevant site.

A very valid point.

> (3) Nick Waterman pointed out that you could already provide something
> similar using suffixes to local parts if you really want to.

Yes it was his message that made me ask what others thought on a more
user friendly option. I tend to agree that the more user friendly
option is probably not worth the trouble it may cause.

--Sean